I finished Venezia!
Venezia has been finished for a while already, but the modelled pictures have taken some time to get taken. First it was too hot, then it poured down, and then it was too hot again. Yesterday it was still hot, in fact hotter than ever before this summer, but when the sun went behind a cloud for tem minutes I grabbed the pullover, the camera and the husband in order to finally get the pictures taken. It was 27 degrees Celsius in the shadow, and positively too hot to wear a pullover made of Shetland wool, but who knows when I otherwise would have got them taken.
Pattern: Venezia by Eunny Jang, Interweave knits Winter 2006.
Yarn: Jamieson’s 2-ply Spindrift, 100 % wool in the specified colours
Needles: Addi turbo circs 2,5 and 3 mm, dpns 2,5 and 3 mm for the sleeves.
Alterations: V-neck instead of boat-neck.
All in all a wonderful pullover to knit. The pattern is very detailed, and you need to read through it before you start, in order not to make mistakes. But it’s well written, like Eunny’s pattern always are, and a joy to work with. The colour chart looks very complicated, but you get the feel for it easily, and then you “see” it. The pattern is in fact more addicting than any pattern I can remember to have knitted before; the syndrome of “just-one-more-row” is always present.
I have never used Shetland yarn before, so that was a new experience for me too. It’s softer than I thought, but still a bit harsh, even after washing. It blooms out in a beautiful way when washed, and I easily understand why this is so popular for Fair Isle typed works. The 25 grams balls are also a blessing, so even if the yarn isn’t cheap, you don’t have to buy way too much yarn for your project.
The amount of yarn specified in the pattern was mostly well counted for my size (second smallest). I had a complete ball left of pine forest, peacock, rosemary and ivy, but I think if I would have made the boat-neck, then I would have needed them. Bu if I would have made the boat-neck then the sand colour would have run out, and perhaps mooskit/white. I don’t think I used much less of the cuff/hem colour old gold than what I would have done if I had made the boat-neck, but I had two balls left of the colour. That was a miss for the one doing the maths of how much yarn to use.
I know there are quite a lot of people working on Venezia, so the club of Venezia finishers is not that exclusive. But I must admit I’m quite pleased both with the finished Venezia, and with having finished Venezia. And I hope I’ll see more Venezias all over blogland!